Saturday, March 28, 2009

i miss zach

Last night I dreamt that I was driving around on a mini-steam roller kind of vehicle. It had two big cement wheels in the back, and a regular tire in the front, along with bicycle pedals. I was mad at Matthew, because he wouldn't come with me to Specklebelly's. I was determined to go buy alcohol, so I drove my little behicle to Athena, and was right about to go try and buy some from the lady working in the lounge. But right when I got to the front desk, I realized she wouldn't sell it to me without I.D., and I chickened out and ended up asking, "What time are you open until?" She told me 9 o'clock or something, and I went back outside onto my little steam-roller tricycle. As I was driving away, there was a drunk man coming out of Specklebelly's with either beer or Mike's Hard Lemonade, and he was shouting profanities at the traffic on Central Avenue. I pedalled past him, and asked, "Could you go buy me some Sour Puss? I have the $13 already to go." And he said to me, "You'll have to give me $17, because I have a fee." I told him that I wouldn't buy it from him, and I started pedalling away, but he started following me, and we started a game of tag, which continued over into the parking lot by the Royal Bank, and Erinn, Matthew and Matthew's friend Kyle showed up and joined in the game of tag. We all got pretty tired, and the drunk man disappeared, so we decided to stop, and I had to drive them all home. We went down Grey Ave. to Kyle's house, and Matthew left, but for some reason, I just stayed around the house. All of a sudden, I started having flashbacks that were into Kyle's childhood, and when he got his first dog. I saw his Black Labrador Retriever as a puppy, and then I returned to the present. I walked into the backyard, and Matthew was there again, but he told me that Kyle's family had an awesome deck on top of their garage, where there was a little ladder going up. Matthew left again, and I started climbing up the frozen metal ladder that was enclosed. As I came nearer to the top, I saw the door, but my head hit a piece of frosted glass that covered the door onto the roof of the deck, making a very loud bang. I started coming down the ladder, and as I did, Kyle's mom came outside with a laundry basket, and started talking to me. "Do you realize how many kids in this neighborhood always try to climb up that ladder? Too many. You kids think you can just walk right on up there, on our own private property," she said in a surprisingly monotone voice. "I'm really sorry, it's just that Matthew said I should go up there, and Matthew is friends with Kyle, so I thought it would be ok," I said. She told me to come inside, and as I was going up the steps into the house, I flashed back, and the dog was trying to run away, so I had to run down the street to go catch him. He tried to get away, but I caught him, and we just ended up playing for a bit. I took him inside, and flashed back to the present again, where Kyle's mom started talking about something, but I wasn't paying any attention, because all I could think about was if she remembered who I was from when she taught me english. When I got into their kitchen, I flashed back again, to seeing the puppy running around and playing, and sliding on the laminate flooring, which made me very happy. But when I flashed back to present day again, his family was sitting around talking about how their dog had been such a good dog, and how he used to be so cute, and then it dawned on me that their dog wasn't alive anymore.

No comments: